In the spring of 1942, Charles P. Middleton, an avid lawn bowler, suggested that the South District Lions Club sponsor a South District Lawn Bowling Club. In response to this suggestion an organization meeting was called on March 6th 1942 by twelve charter members who elected the first officers for the South District Lawn Bowling Club. This public-spirited group prevailed upon the Seattle Parks Board to build a lawn bowling green in Jefferson Park.
With the help of the South District Lions Club, volunteers from the nearby Army Center, Club members and the Seattle Parks Board, the first green was formally opened for play on May 14th 1944. The green measured 120 ft. square and was located on the south side of the Golf Clubhouse where the driving range currently exists. The 1944 Club Roster listed the names of 43 men and 10 women. The name of the Club was formally changed from the South District Lawn Bowling Club to the Jefferson Park Lawn Bowling Club on March 9th 1945.